In addition to the education of civil engineers on the art and practice of structural engineering, my primary interests are in earthquake resistant engineering and innovations in lateral design, steel (hot-rolled and cold-formed steel) design, light frame construction, and I have an emerging interest in modular construction. My work involves support for the building design profession (engineers, architects, code officials, contractors, and manufacturers) through experimental research to improve and expand our current state of knowledge, and aid in the development of alternative sustainable, resilient structural components and methods of construction.
● Former President of Light Gauge Steel Engineers Assciation (currently the Cold-Formed Steel Engineering Institute–CFSEI) and current member of CFSEI
● Former Associate Editor American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Journal of Structural Engineering
● Contributor to International Code Council Evaluation Services (ICC-ES) and International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials Uniform Evaluation Serives (IAPMO-UES) criteria development process
● Member of American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) Committee on Framing Standards
● Member of ASCE Sub-Committee of Cold-Formed Steel
● Reviewer for national and international structural journals; panelist and reviewer for National Science Foundation (NSF) and Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)